Sometimes a specific injury can cause inflammation. Other times inflammation can manifest in chronic dis-ease. Follow these guidelines to reduce inflammation naturally.
- Get a proper balance of omega-6 to omega-3 fats. Most adults should aim for a 2:1 ratio. Avoid cooking oils made with corn, safflower and other omega -6 oils, choose grass-fed meat over grain-fed meat, and eat more cold-water fish.
- Avoid trans fats: i.e. fried foods, margarine sticks, pie crust, these fats cripple your body’s ability to process healthy fats normally
- Limit refined carbs: i.e. sugar, candy, flour, these carbs increase insulin levels which eventually leads to increased inflammation.
- Maintain a healthy weight: The more excess weight you carry as fat, the more active fat cells are and the more inflamed you will be.
- Increase dietary antioxidants: Fruits and vegetables down regulate inflammation.